Garden in the Redwoods

Monday, May 15, 2006

Love Apples


I never liked fresh tomatoes when I was growing up. It wasn't until my first trip to Italy in 1996 (I was 30!) that I recognized how delicious these little fruits could be. In Florence, after seeing a very moving organ concerto in a smaller Renaissance-style cathedral with ethereal cherubs on the ceiling and Baroque statues in every corner, Kevin and I went to dinner. I ordered the "Insalata Caprese", having no idea what "Caprese" meant. My salad arrived with sliced tomatoes alternating with buffala mozzerella and basil leaves. I was disappointed to see that my salad was more than 50% tomato, to say the least. But I was determined to eat it, because I was in Italy for the first time in my life and, I couldn't speak enough Italian to say "take it back, I don't like tomatoes!" Can you imagine if I said that? They would have thrown me out of the country! Well, if you ate a bite of tomato with the basil and cheese at the same time it wasn't bad. In fact, with that heavenly soft cheese, it was really good! I started growing tomatoes in my garden on a regular after this. Homegrown tomatoes are far better tasting than anything you can find in a grocery store. The local farmer's market heirloom tomatoes are very good and I take advantage of them when my tomato crop is lacking. I do have to admit though, I still occasionally pull the tomatoes off my sandwiches and push them aside in my salads. I can't stand a mealy tomato.

What tomatoes am I growing this year in my garden?

Celebrity. Last year I lost all three of my Zebras (Red, Green, and Black) to the tomato wilt viruses. It was pathetic. The previous year my two Green Grapes experienced the same thing. So I'm putting in a failsafe hybrid along with my heirlooms. I planted Celebrity many years ago and I remember it as having better flavor than Ace.

Early Girl is my standby. It's a hybrid so it rarely succumbs to leaf wilt or blossom end rot. It is also gives me a decent number of medium-sized tomatoes that have very sweet flavor, given my limited sun of approximately 5 hours per day.
Last year this vine was so heavy with fruit that it tipped over. The next thing I knew there wasn't a tomato on it. The chubby rat you saw in previous posts had enjoyed his share.

Green Grape. This may be an exercise in futility, but I couldn't get Aunt Ruby's Green Cherry from Love Apple Farm this year so I'm determined to try. Even if the vine gets the wilt, maybe I'll score just a few of these nutty green cherries first. This is one of my favorite tomatoes.

Hess. I bought this from Love Apple Farm this year because it was the last tomato Cynthia was selling in a gallon pot. Her gallon pot tomatoes grow so well... it must be the soil she uses. Hess is a German heirloom producing large yellow fruit with red marbling and a mild, sweet, fruity flavor. It's a beefsteak, and larger tomatoes need more sun. We'll see how it does. I planted Hawaiian Pineapple last year and got no fruit.

The remaining varieties are all from Love Apple Farm too. These seedlings were so tiny when I brought them home that I haven't transplanted them yet. Cynthia has a very limited variety this year so I grabbed what I could get my hands on. They are almost ready to plant.

Costoluto Genovese. This is a medium to smallish Italian heirloom with a dark red color and deep ribbing. Sounds good!

Lemon Head. No description for this one. I assume it's yellow.

Purple Russian. Torpedo-shaped fruits with a purplish-black color. Very productive with excellent taste.

Rosie Romanian. Cynthia received seeds from Romania that she claimed grew delicious tomatoes.

Black Krim. I don't have a description for this one, except that I believe it's also a darker variety and I remember having good luck with it a few years ago.

Cerise Red Cherry. Also no description for this one, but it's supposed to be a super-sweet cherry tomato.


Of the Love Apple heirloom varieties I planted last year, here are my picks:

Aunt Ruby's Green Cherry. A prolific, semi-ruffled cherry tomato with a sweet-tart nutty flavor. I couldn't eat them fast enough before they would start to crack on the vine.

Beauty Lotringa. I didn't get many of these, but they were good. It's a pink ruffled tomato. Mine didn't get too big.

Bloody Butcher. Despite the name, this deep red smallish tomato was delicious. It had the best flavor of all that I planted. Unfortunately I only harvested a handful. The tomato wilt virus worked on this one too.

It's funny how some of these heirlooms wilted but others didn't. I guess some varieties are more resistant than others. I have read that tomatoes with more potato-like leaves are supposed to be more resistant. I planted Brandywine in the past and it's never had a problem.

Here are my pans from last year:

Sweet Sue Cherry. This was a mealy, non-sweet cherry. Not even worth eating.

Purple Calabash. Beautiful deep red bicolor and intense flavor. This tomato was so rich ("winey") that I felt nauseous after eating some at dinner. I think I'll pass on this one next time.

Zebras. Red, Green and Black all wilted and produced no fruit. It's too bad too, because they are smaller fruiting varieties, which is better for limited sun. And Love Apple had some different Zebra varieties this year too: Pink Zebra and Hippy Zebra, which I would have loved to try if my luck last year wasn't so poor.

Hawaiian Pineapple. No fruit. But no wilt.... hmmm.

2 Comments:

  • I love toms!!! you've got my mouth watering, and it's not even 7 AM... :)))

    my sis is a big gardener, and she grows them, cherry toms, and doesn't eat them... too funny!

    By Blogger ipodmomma, at 10:45 PM  

  • You have to sneer when you say 'love apple' (or at least I do)

    By Blogger oldhall, at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home