Garden in the Redwoods

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pests and other Wildlife

Redwood roots and treetops are only part of the challenge here. Something has been gnawing the leaves off my citrus trees. I haven't found any parts of the leaves anywhere, and I'm certain it's not deer getting in. And the bunnies I've seen hopping by can't climb a tree, albeit a dwarf tree.


Some droppings in the pressure pump shed tipped me off. Perhaps a rat? So we set out a live trap and LOOK what we caught:


Templeton found a new home near a very nice local creek. I set the trap out again today to see if he has any brothers or sisters. Apparently this large fence around the garden has created a nice safe haven for smaller animals inside. My cat is too old and lazy to catch these critters. I'd like to get some new cats if they wouldn't pee all over the house or get eaten by coyotes. We'll try the trap for now.


It was warm enough today for the lizards and snakes to come out. (These would probably disappear too if we had cats.)

This is one of our garter snakes. They enjoy our lawn more than the garden. I haven't been able to identify this particular type of garter on the websites. Any guesses?

2 Comments:

  • eeeeuuuuu...... I'm not big on snakes!!! glad you got one rat...

    By Blogger ipodmomma, at 11:19 AM  

  • My guess on the snake is that it's a Western Terrestrial garter snake. I'm not sure about the subspecies. My book says there is much variation in the dorsal patterning.

    By Blogger Michelle Liebgott-Osinga, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home