Garden in the Redwoods

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Spring Garlic

Tonight I had the most wonderful pasta sauce. At the season opening of the Felton Farmers Market today I found Spring Garlic. Spring Garlic (also known as Green Garlic) is simply the garlic bulb and green stems picked very early on. It has a wonderful mild, fresh garlicky essence to it. I had just planted some cloves in my garden earlier in the day to hopefully grow this wonderful stuff, but it might be too late in the season for planting it. We'll see. We didn't have any sun until just a few weeks ago.

At any rate, I prepared the green garlic as described by Susie in her Kitchen Garden blog in the Spring Green Garlic post. It was SO GOOD, that I ate all of the sauce before it came out of the pan. Then I made more, and was dipping small slices of parmesan cheese in the sauce and eating it. Oh so good. I really hope my garlic comes up. I bought some fava beans at the market too, but they are just an exercise in masochism. Peel, cook, peel, .... cook, eat. Finally. But they are pretty good too.

This past weekend I finished turning all the garden boxes and raked them all smooth. On Monday I planted about 5 of the boxes. I still have 3 to go. Which reminds me, I need to soak my beans tonight. I post a picture as soon as I can. Most important of the planting was that we planted the kid's box Monday afternoon. C has planted carrots, dwarf snow peas, four o'clocks, pumpkins and Russian Giant sunflowers. K planted violets, strawberries, snapdragons, zinnias and Chianti Sunrise (red) sunflowers (with a couple pumpkin seeds thrown in too). Their box is going to be a jungle! But that's okay. It's fun.

1 Comments:

  • ooohhh youa re making me hungry!!! I love spag bol, as they call it here...

    (short for spaghetti bolognese)

    and I adore garlic!!!

    looking forward to seeing the garden's progress, over the summer... :)))

    By Blogger ipodmomma, at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home